Thursday, September 18, 2014

DVD

Hello everyone!

For the modern technology term, I picked a DVD. Most articles that I have researched have called DVD’s storage media in the past, so I searched both DVD’s and storage units. The first availability of a storage unit was considered a videocassette (VCR), which if you don’t remember, were the big bulky black tapes. Those were first released in 1976. After those came out, the LaserDisc (LD) was released in 1978. These were a higher quality than VCR’s, but didn’t disperse because of the high cost. More than a decade later came the infamous DVD that changed technology drastically, at least for our generation. These were released in March of 1997. Although these are not as prominent anymore, they are still out there in the world. In 2006 the high-definition Blu-ray Discs came out. Those weren’t as big of a thing as when DVD’s’ came out, but they still improved the clarity of the screen. And the lastly, the glorious procrastination tool, Netflix arrived. In 2008, they started offering instant online streaming of movies and TV shows. They only offered this to their subscribers. Since then, they have expanded their steaming to Wii, PS3, and blu-ray players. Now we don’t even have to have a physical disk to watch a movie. They are right on our fingertips. Technology has come a long way since VCR’s, and I’m anxious to see what’s in store next!


-Kelly

1 comment:

Caleb B said...

I remember watching VCR disney movies when I was a kid! It's crazy to see how far we have come in almost two decades. From DVD's to Blu Ray to instant downloads!