
The books I decided to look deeper into were:
1. How Google works
2. How we got to now: Six innovations that made the modern world
3. The innovators: How a Group of Hackers, Geniuses, and Geeks created the digital revolution.
Trying to decide between three books, all of which I want to read, wasn't easy. I first looked at How we got to now, in which the author discusses specific technological/information technology advancements that have led to the modern society we have now. When looking through reviews it was hard to find someone who wasn't a fan of the book, however I did get a general sense from the reviews that it was almost like 6 glasses around the world, which many students may have read in high school. I wanted a different perspective and take on the writing style, so I dropped this from front runner to the back of the pack.
I then moved on to "The Innovators", which I have actually had on my reading list for quite some time. However when I thought about reading this book for class, I decided against it because it was really a book for pleasure reading, not something that I wanted to analyze and break down. That only left me with one option, and most likely the best option for this class.
After searching through several databases and filtering through loads of information about each of the titles, I decided on "How Google Works". I selected the book itself because of its pertinence to the modern day and age and due to its' creation being a cornerstone of the digital revolution. Google as a company/technology completely revolutionized the way individuals search for information, and while doing it created a set of internet protocols that the public isn't even aware of. The book itself is written by the ex-CEO Eric Schmidt and former SVP of Products Jonathan Rosenberg. These two were there from the beginning of the corporation and have watched them grow over time to be the technology giant that they are today. I am looking forward to diving deeper into this book and learning more about the search monopoly that is google. As the book is a recent publication, there were no academic reviews yet. I will update this if one comes out soon.
Everyone's book choices look great as well!
-Will
No comments:
Post a Comment