When doing a google search for Kara Olsen, I am just about the last person you find. This probably stems from the fact that Kara Olsen is the wife of football player Greg Olsen, and most of the posts are about her social medias and web stories. When I looked more specifically with email and whatnot, the only time I was able to find myself through google was with my name and wiscmail typed in; this came up with the page for my Finance club where there was a picture and description of me for the executive board page. Also, by googling 'Kara Olsen Wisconsin,' I came up with all my sporting history that was posted on various stats websites, as well as an article I was quoted in. I was happy to see that this was the only way I was able to find myself on google. However, my social networking sites I was a little unhappy with. I had my Facebook originally set up so that only friends could see my things. When I had my roommate unfriend me and show me what she was able to view, I was SHOCKED. I definitely am going to be looking into that in the future, because I wasn't happy with what was able to be seen on some occasions. My twitter remained secure, and nothing was able to be seen on that one.
As for the other sites, it was interesting to me that there is so much that can be said by just looking at the simple demographics of my home town. I come from a very suburban, almost rural, town that has little to no diversity in most aspects. It is also a pretty affluent area as was shown in the sites. I find this to be pretty eye opening because when you look at my community through this type of lens, it comes off as a pretty bad stereotype: suburban white girl. I'm not really sure how I feel about that label..
This is always an interesting exercise, because a lot of times we are all so quick to post events in our lives, but we don't always remember not just our friends and family can view it. It is honestly crazy to see that someone could find out my activities and whereabouts through Facebook so easily. Also I think its a through-provoking concept that someone can find out my family background and socioeconomic status so easily, and that they could pass a judgement on me without even knowing anything about me personally.
1 comment:
I agree, when I looked at my Facebook page from a public persons view, it was not what I was expecting. I thought everything was well hidden but it wasn't. Definitely makes us think twice about what we're posting!
Post a Comment