The commentary I found was a blog
post which owned by Clive Thompson, the author of Smarter Than You Think: How
Technology is Changing Our Minds for the Better. This book is actually one of the three books that I chose last
week, I didn’t end up choosing this book but now I am very interested in
reading it.
I find this blog post very interesting
because I also happened to have the same problem with the one Thompson has. The
process of finding something online is not precisely recorded in a way that allows
someone to look back or share the process. In Bush’s essay, the specific
pathway by which someone went from one document to another is called the “trail,”
and he thinks there is value in sharing the “trail.” Thompson argues that what
we can do with this “trail” is “metacognition: Thinking about thinking,
knowledge about the way we knowledge.” This is the part I find intriguing,
because I have never thought of the process of finding something as a valuable
thing. However, just like one says, the process is as
important as the result, and this probably applies to online search as well. Many people commented on this blog post have suggested tools that does what Thompson is asking for or at least parts of it, I would definitely check them out and probably be using them. I wonder what will the capable of reviewing and sharing the process of online search changes my ways of researching, thinking and connecting.
http://www.collisiondetection.net/mt/archives/2011/09/how_did_you_fin.php
1 comment:
I just saw your article and realized we did the same one! I think that's super interesting that you ended up finding an article written by the author as one of the books you were thinking about choosing.
Post a Comment