Monday, October 13, 2014

The Power of Knowledge: How information and Technology Made the Modern World by Jeremy Black


 
   
   I began searching on Amazon.com using broad terms such as network and society. The first book that came up in my search was "The Network Society" by Jan Van Dijk. I believe this was the article we read on the digital divide, so I decided not to choose from this one (it was also published in 2006). Next I used terms such as Network, information, modern, media, development and I was lead to my next two books. "Networks of Outrage and Hope: Social Movements in the Internet Age" by Manuel Castells. This book was a recently published book that discusses the new age social movements such as "occupy wall street" and how they affect our information society, however, this was already chosen. The book I chose: "The Power of Knowledge: How Information and Technology Made the Modern World" by Jeremy Black seemed the most intriguing to me. It was published less than 9 months ago. He "approaches global history by focusing on the relationship between information and society". It looks like the book will discuss how nations that acquire knowledge also acquire power. This had the least books in circulation on WorldCat.com but I think that is due to it being relatively new. ProQuest eventually led me to Roger Kimball's (of WSJ) review which states "his combination of fluency and wide-ranging erudition are conspicuously on display in "The Power of Knowledge," an ambitious, synoptic, "big idea" book that is likely to extend the frontiers of Mr. Black's audience in this country". This book has some great reviews and I am looking forward to getting started on this book. 

Book Review Citation: The Wall Street Journal. Robert Kimball, Feb 25. 2014. Dow Jones & Company, n.d. Web. 13 Oct. 2014.


   Caleb Benz 

No comments: