When visiting the Aris website, I learned that it is a
software that the developers had been working on for about 2 years here in
Madison, apart of a continued research project of the Games Learning and
Society group. I watched the 8-minute Demo that talked about how to actually
use the app, which helped to know what to do when I then downloaded it on my
iPhone.
Once I allowed the app use my current location, some
pretty interesting games came up with in the 1 km radius. I just clicked on the
first game, “Greenbush Game,” which was about a Jewish boy living in the
Greenbush neighborhood in 1959. After clicking around the map for a bit, I
realized the quests and challenges weren’t all that similar to the way the demo
presented the game so I decided to try another one - it was almost like the
game was half developed.
The next game I tried was called “Henry Mall History,”
which had the description “check out the amazing scientific discoveries and
stories that happened on UW-Madison’s Henry Mall!” The game’s quest was to earn
as many knowledge points as you cant, taking 50 to win. I started by clicked on
various pictures of buildings on Henry Mall, such as the Genetics/Biotech Center,
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene, Hoard Memorial, etc. Each time I clicked on
one, it would show a picture and give a little description of the history or an
interesting fact – then I would receive a knowledge point.
Overall, I thought it was a pretty interesting app to
combine games with history and learning. If this game were to be used in a
classroom or for educational purposes, I would be concerned with the lack of
pictures, graphics, and noises that are normally used to attract interest and
keep player engaged. Because the student would most likely have experience
playing other games with better graphics and more engaging, it might be hard
for this game to compete with that and keep the player interested. Although it
has more educational benefits, the student would probably be more likely to
play the game if it was interesting. This expectation might be more applicable
to the younger generations, but I think this it's a valid concern.
One thing that I thought was interesting was that all of
the games within the app that I came across didn’t have any reviews for the
game. So I am curious how often games are created and how many times they are actually
played.
No comments:
Post a Comment