When I opened up the Apple App Store and searched for Aris, I was a bit concerned seeing that the app has not been updated for over a year. There are a lot of things that have come out in regards new updates to operating systems, new OS for iPhones, the usual need to fix bugs and glitches that occur with these new updates or within the app's code, and discoveries of gaps in mobile security. I was hopeful the app would be engaging and informative. That hope quickly ended after I opened the app and signed up. The app began to glitch when I opted not to have Aris track my location all the time, it continued to have this notification pop up that Location Services is turned off for Aris. Next, when the app wanted me to take a photo for my profile, I tried to cancel out of it, nothing happened. Then I tried to take a photo, nothing happened. I closed out of the app and opened it again. Fortunately, the app opened up to the list of games available. The number of games available shocked me. But I quickly discovered that most of the games were outdated, no longer maintained, or irrelevant. I opened up the UW Campus Tour game, to begin the game I used the codes I found on Aris's website. Shockingly, the app quit when I tried to take a photo of the QR code for the Red Gym, but luckily typing in the code worked.
Rereading this post sounds like I am whining, but once I navigated through the glitches, numerous outdated, or irrelevant games, the information I learned from the UW Campus Tour was informative. I love learning about the histories of places I live. Additionally, I wish it was warmer so my fingers wouldn't almost freeze off every time I use the app. I am going to attempt the Henry Mall History game in the morning before lecture. In summary, I wish the app was easier to navigate, and wasn't full of glitches that should be addressed, but the app has potential to use in classes like this, to engage students through technology to learn and make it enjoyable.
1 comment:
Interest to read your experiences before you tried out the game, I didn't think to much about the personal privacy and my location being used, which I really should pay more attention to these. But overall I think you had a interesting experience with the app and the tour!
Post a Comment