Disconnecting myself this weekend was a lot harder than I
thought it would be. I honestly forgot that I was supposed to be doing it, so I
started at more around 7 on Friday rather than 5, but it was still difficult! The only
two social media sites I really use daily are Facebook and Instagram, so I
deleted those apps off of my phone, because I knew that as soon as the little
red notification bubbles started coming, I would want to click on the app to
see what was going on. The only text messages I sent out were to coordinate a
group I lead for volunteering to make sure everything was squared away for
Monday, and to let my parents know that I survived Freakfest, as they had asked
me to do. I live with my best friends, so it wasn't hard to coordinate things
for this weekend without using my phone. The hardest part about this experiment
was when I was on my computer working on my paper or other homework. I always
find myself on Facebook when I’m supposed to be doing school work. I thought it
would be easy to stay off of Facebook if I just told myself that I couldn't
because of this project, but it didn't work out like that. I ended up on
Facebook more than twenty times between Saturday and Sunday, which makes me
wonder how many times I end up on it on the weekends where I’m not trying to
stay off of it. I didn't wait until 5 pm on Sunday to do my write up because I
have things to do this evening and tomorrow evening and just wanted to get this assignment out of
the way so I can work on my other big projects for the week, but I will
continue to do my best to stay off of social media for the remainder to today.
1 comment:
Tiana,
That was smart to just delete the apps off your phone! I forgot a couple of times and checked Facebook on my phone, just because it was such a habit. Similar to you, Facebook and Instagram are really the only form of social media I use, but even with just 2 forms of social media it was hard for me to limit my use of them. When I was telling my parents about the assignment, they also said I was to still text them. I know they always like the ability to get a hold of me through texting because sometimes I'm busy and can't chat on the phone so they just like to send a quick message and know everything is okay. And I definitely agree with the temptation to use Facebook when you're on the computer for homework!
Madeleine
Post a Comment