Last night, I attended a Go Big Read event at the Madison Public Library on Monroe Street. Going in, I did not know what to expect. I knew there was going to be a discussion on the book I am Malala, but did not know in what context. I walked in the library, was lead downstairs to a small room containing about seven others, and sat down. There was an assortment of snacks, and copies of "I am Malala" out on the table. Though I had not read the book, I had heard a little about Malala Yousafazai's story and was excited to hear more. One thing that surprised me about the group I was sitting with was that it was mainly older people, not young students like myself. I felt a little out of place as a young person, something I'm not used to feeling living on a college campus.
The discussion began with reactions to the story. Something that many were surprised about was how though Malala was shot just below the eye, the image of her on the cover of the book showed no scar. Did it heal that completely? Was it airbrushed? We were all curious. As we delved into deeper questions about the book, there different perspectives of the group were interesting. One woman's husband was from Pakistan and she made a point to tell us that the oppression of women in the area that Malala lived in was not representative of Pakistan as a whole. In the cities, it is not as bad for women and many have access to education. Another interesting perspective was from a woman who looked like she was probably in her 60's or so. She explained that a lack of education for women is not so removed from our own country. When she was growing up and wanted to go to college, her mother discouraged it, saying that she should worry instead about finding a husband.
Over all, I am happy I attended the Go Big Read event last night. The discussion I listened to concerning Malala's story encouraged me to read the book myself. Also, I hope to return to another event sometime for a book I have read and encourage more young people to go (at least for the tasty snacks)!
No comments:
Post a Comment