Monday, December 8, 2014

Hybrid Courses

Hybrid courses are guided by three main converting themes. One, web-based learning activities are introduced to complement face-to-face work. Two, "seat time" is reduced, though not eliminated altogether. Three, the Web-based and face-to-face components of the course are designed to interact and take advantage of each other. While I believe our course has done a good job of implementing the first two components, I believe that the web-based and face-to-face parts of our course are not very involved. I see this disconnect as I am writing this post. When I logged on to our course's blogger to see what this weekend's assignment was, I had no expectations. Discussion (face-to-face) time was spent watching Ignite presentations and I had never heard the term "hybrid course" until two minutes ago when I read these directions. I believe that in LIS 201, face-to-face time aligns with the reader while the online things we do are singular and separate. This may be because "the information society" is broad, and much be touched on from different directions, but I also think it makes our syllabus confusing, as I believe we have learned two separate themes from two separate channels.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree, the face-to-face is a lot about the reading, but the blog posts definitely have a separate feel.