Monday, December 1, 2014

My mom's information technology

Since my family are back in Taiwan and I was on a trip, I only got to talk to my mom for a short time. I didn't really get to ask her for the details, but she told me that computer was definitely the most important information technology for her job. Besides communicating purposes, she uses computer for accounting and other financing tasks. Computer software such as Excel and other accounting software are pretty essential to the kinds of job she does. She first learned to use these computer software when she started working. She went to computer classes that teach how to use these software, and she also bought books to study. She said she really rely on the computer for her job, but she also mentioned calculators. Even though the computer can do the math for her, she said sometimes using the calculator is easier/faster for her. But she will still plug it into the software to double check if there is a mistake or not.
I can see why my mom still can't give up the calculators while using the computer. Even though the computer is probably more sufficient in doing the math, it doesn't necessary fits into my mom's working habits/styles. Sometimes it is faster for my mom to just use the calculator rather then plugging into the computer software. There are many jobs that can be done by computers, but I believe that not all of those jobs are better done by them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My dad also said that the computer is the most important information technology in regards to his job. My dad said he doesn't have to use Excel all too much, like it seems your mother does for accounting, where he usually just uses Powerpoint for presentations. However, my dad didn't discuss much about calculators so I am curious to know if he also double checks his work with calculators or if he trusts his computer to come up with the correct numbers.