https://archive.org/details/0432_Electricty_for_Beginners_01_30_16_00
My selection from the archives is Electricity for Beginners, a film made in the State College of Iowa in 1950. I find this short video interesting because it gives the audience a simple but insightful description of how the flow of electricity in lightbulbs creates light, and how it can create powered magnets through use of metal objects. What I find most interesting about this is how, even after more than 60 years, it is still relevant today. Lightbulbs work in much the same way now as they did then, but with different resources that last longer and save more power. It would be interesting to see a similar video produced today with insight into how electricity powers lithium-ion batteries, or how generators work to generate electricity without a grounded plug.
1 comment:
This is a good video, and I agree with your comments. This video shows how there are certain technologies that have only advanced to optimize the fundamental ideas/principles through different materials used, a different glass bulb, the sources of electricity, or a different wire used to create the light. It would be interesting to see a video made in 1950 aimed at adults about electricity to see the progression of electricity since 1950. The film is also interesting because when I was first learning about electricity in elementary school, we have very similar experiments to the one in the video.
Post a Comment