Monday, September 29, 2014

Prelinger Archives Assignment

I chose the film, "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You?" from the many options within the Prelinger Archives. I decided to browse through the Prelinger Archives by selecting the, "Subject / Keywords,"  link found on the homepage. I was curious to see what the variety of videos was, and there was a wide variety. My attention was drawn to the keyword, "Technology," since we have spent some time both in lecture and in discussion talking about technology and how it effects the Information Society.

This film was made in 1958 by a student at the University of Southern California. It was very similar to the video we saw in lecture where it tried to predict the future of technology and how it would change personal interaction. The film was basically filled with a lot of short scenes and close ups of technology and people using them. The title stems from the fact that the husband and wife in the film literally don't say a word to each other throughout the whole day as the dad is at work all day with his technology and the mother is off using her technology as well. Most and close to all of the words said in the film came from a machine/piece of technology.

This film is definitely still useful to students and relevant in today's society. Technology is continuously advancing and it is decreasing person to person contact. Even in 1958, where the most extravagant piece of technology seemed to be a walkie-talkie in the husbands car, it was beginning to diminish personal contact. Now we have essentially the whole world in our pocket, thanks to smart phones, and the lack of personal relationships is not being missed. This film acknowledged the beginning of the advancement of technology and how it will make the information society grow, but to the extent where it is taking over personal relationships.

No comments: