Monday, September 22, 2014
ESPN
I decided to choose ESPN because as far as information society for sports goes, ESPN is the number one program. While searching the New York Times, Chicago Tribune, and Los Angeles Times, the earliest ESPN was mentioned was in the late 1970s. The articles I read mostly had to do with a, "new 24 hour sports television network," coming to air in September of 1979. They all also mentioned how this new network would factor in to TV contacts with professional sports like the NBA, NFL, etc. I got almost identical results when I extended the search to the three different scholarly article databases. The articles I read were interesting because it seemed almost surreal to these people that there would be a 24 hour network just for sports, but it seemed like they had a really good idea that it would be very successful. It still basically has the same meaning because it is still a 24 hour sports network, but in these articles it says they plan on airing highlights of the American Legion baseball playoffs on its debut weekend, and now they air just about any professional sports association on a daily basis.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I didn't know ESPN has been around for so long! It's surprising it still has the same basic concept over 40 years later!
Post a Comment