Sunday, September 28, 2014

Sleep for Health (1950)

https://archive.org/details/Sleepfor1950

I found the film Sleep for Health (1950) while looking through Prelinger Archives most downloaded videos. Since I am always looking for ways to increase ones health I thought this video would be interesting. This film was an informational film on ways to create better sleeping habits and the importance of sleep for your health. It talks about what your body and brain are doing while asleep and the benefits of a good night of sleep. It also talks about the importance of good sleeping habits when it comes to getting good sleep. Some of these habits include going to bed at the same time, having a good sleeping setting and so on. It also talks about the benefits of getting good sleep which include better memory, more sustained energy throughout the day, and higher productivity.

This short film follows the days of two boys with good and bad sleeping habits and uses these two "stories" to visually represent the impacts of good and bad sleeping habits. Although this film was made in the 50's the information is still very relevant and can be used to show anybody the importance of good sleep. The amount of information available and acquired over the years from research about sleep and sleep habits have definitely grown but this video has the basics of information needed to get a general understanding without a lot of data to back it up. I could definitely see this video being shown in a psychology class of some sort since they usually show outdated films anyways. Although this film does provide basic understanding of why sleep is important, this information (plus more), could easily be acquired by simply googling sleep, or sleep habits. In the 50's, this was the most efficient way to pass on information without reading a book.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like this film because I think the topic of sleep is very interesting. Although there is information in here that is well known now, I actually learned that you can fall asleep faster if you have the same night time habits almost every night. I have a hard time falling asleep so this is very useful information for me. I also like learning about dreams, but it is also very interesting how they had very little information about that because they obviously didn't have the technology to run studies and experiments on the matter. Overall, it's interesting to see the advancements society has come up with since this time about sleep.

Unknown said...

This film was interesting to me because instead of just dishing out a ton of facts and what not about sleep, the film maker just wanted the boys to act out the difference between being well rested or not and how it effects your life. Poor George, he never stood a chance in his day compared to David. Unfortunately I completely relate to George, not David. This will hopefully (but probably not) lead to me getting more sleep so I can be more effective during the day! And like Nicole said, it was interesting to hear their input on dreams as well. George's dream in the airplane was a fun scene to watch.

Caleb B said...

I think this film was interesting especially for us college students, whom sleep is so important too. I think the information in this video is fairly basic and most of the stuff I already understood because of my psych 202 class, which I think I actually did watch some of this video in! George and David seem like some great guys, but George needs to get better sleep! David does it right.