Monday, October 13, 2014

Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each other

Three books I looked at to use for my final project were Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each other by Sherry Turkle, The Information Diet: A Case for Conspicuous Consumption by Clay A Johnson, The Internet of Things: How Smart TVs, Smart Cars, Smart Homes, and Smart Cities are Changing the World by Michael Miller. The book I actually chose was Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each other. The reason I chose this book was due to all the facts I found in my research between this and the other two books. For starters, The Internet of Things: How Smart TVs, Smart Cars, Smart Homes, and Smart Cities are Changing the World  was the least popular in all aspects comported to the other books. 
Sherry Turkle's book was overall more popular than Clay A Johnson's. At first, I was more interested in The Information Diet: A Case for Conspicuous Consumption until I saw multiple bad reviews about the book, whereas Martin H Levenson refers to Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each other as a great piece of literature. He states

"Mixing personal anecdotes, professional research, and philosophical observations, Alone Together, a book that could not have been written by a robot, presciently probes the question: will we be technology's willing slave or guiding master. Highly recommended reading." 

This is a book that focuses on a key point to time-space distantiation. Turkle is telling us the reason why technology is/has been separating us from each other and why some people would say we still are connecting even when using technology. This clearly shows how I made my pick.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, doing my research and the first book I see someone doing on the blog is taken! I researched this book a lot and it looks awesome; can't wait to hear how it is!