Monday, October 13, 2014

The Zero Marginal Cost Society By Jeremy Rifkin

The books I chose to look into were 1. Consent of the Networked: the Worldwide Struggle for Internet Freedom by Rebecca Mackinnon 2. Alone Together: Why We Expect More From Technology and Less From Each Other by Sherry Turkle 3. Zero Marginal Cost Society: the Internet of Things, the Collaborative Commons, and the Eclipse of Capitalism by Jeremy Rifkin. After some research I thought Alone Together might be the best choice for me because it seemed to focus on the psychological and sociological effects of Internet use. I typically dislike those types of theoretical things because they don't tend to make sense in my mind, but this topic seemed to be something I could really understand the science and thought process behind. Looking at our blog, this book was obviously taken by Nicole Dunn. I can't wait to hear about how it is from her, as I would really be interested in this book to read outside of class in the future! That being said, being a business major the book I chose may be slightly more fitting, as I decided to go with my second plan- Zero Marginal Cost Society.
This book has very interesting reviews, because this author is apparently known for having very interesting yet controversial views. This book describes how technology may advance so far that it will be able to produce a zero marginal cost balance for businesses and its effect on capitalism. Being an economic enthusiast, I would love to read about how be proves this. I like how this book seems to have the ability to connect this class to some of my other classes and make it more relevant to my strengths in understanding!

Kita, C.(2012). Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other (review). Technology and Culture 53(4), 960-961. The Johns Hopkins University Press. Retrieved October 14, 2014, from Project MUSE database.

1 comment:

Kate A. said...

The book seems like a very interesting read, how the internet and the growing use of the internet in daily lives impacts businesses and economies. This is a great book to do the book review project on, good choice.