Sunday, October 26, 2014

Kelly Stymiest Online

This was very interesting and made me think twice about the information I post on the internet. First, I looked up my phone number and all it could tell me was that it was from Appleton, WI. When I looked up my hometown of Appleton, it came up just as I was expecting: white, middle/upper class, very low poverty, and a median age of about 38.

When I searched myself from Facebook from the public eye, I think I hide things very well. All you can see is 3 pictures which show I go to UW-Madison, and my friends. Everything else personal is well hidden unless you are my friend.

When I searched myself on Google that was a whole different story. At first I entered my name as simply “Kelly Stymiest”, which brought up a picture of my Facebook profile picture, my default Twitter picture, and also a couple pictures from high school tennis. The first links that came up to click on were my Facebook profile, Twitter profile, Pinterest profile, stats on my tennis career, newspapers from tennis, and Linkd In. But when I searched “K. Stymiest”, everything that came up was irrelevant to me besdies one page that I stumbled on on the second page. Ancestory.com appeared and it said my full name, Kelly Blair Stymiest, as the title. I clicked on it and found old tracings and information on my family, which was cool to see but also slightly scary that it was on the internet from simply typing in “K. Stymiest”.


From what is publicly on the internet of me is what I expected. People can tell that I am a college student at UW and used to play tennis.  It is scary though to think about what else could be out there about me that I haven’t seen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with everything you said. When I look myself up on Facebook I saw that you could only see my profile and cover photos. This is important because strangers don't need to see information about you. I believe this is why the Internet is becoming a dangerous place, especially for younger children who don't understand how people can use the internet to harass, judge, etc.