Sunday, October 19, 2014

Memex Commentary - Sara Wu

    I found this article published in August 2009 by Michael Fraase who commented on the Bush's idea of Memex. He used his own example to illustrate the development of cyberspace and mass storage. I found the example he used very interesting and very helpful to understand the idea of Memex. The high cost of the mass data storage is an obstacles in the development and it also serves as the ultimate goal for scientists nowadays.
    Fraase also commented on Bush's idea of exchanging information and communicating with each other. Back than Bush foresaw that "memex users would correspond with each other by mailing microfilms back and forth" (Fraas, 2009). I agree with Fraas's point of view on the topic of communicating with others, I believe with the advanced technologies we have in our hand, exchanging information and manipulation the would became easier and easier.
    The article is published five years ago and we can already tell some of the facts are out dated. There are definitely more development on the storage in the computers and faster communication tools have been developed.

Here's the link to the Fraas's article:
http://www.farces.com/the-lost-manuscripts-commentary-on-bushs-memex/

-Sara

No comments: