Saturday, October 18, 2014

Memex Commentary

The commentary I found was only a twenty seven second video, but I still found it intriguing even with its brevity. I thought it was very insightful, because even after doing pages and pages of reading for our online assignment this weekend, she managed to recap everything I read in less than thirty seconds, which I appreciated. In the video, she explained how Bush’s Memex was a precursor to the internet and hyper-linking with his focuses on archiving information and having easy retrieval of the information that is already present in the world. I also agree with her statement that with the direction his thinking was going, he was a pioneer of many of the library technologies we have today, such as online card catalogs and databases filled with journals just waiting to be connected. 



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great video! It definitely seemed to summarize the relationship of the Memex with LIS. I would have to say that although I believe the Memex was a precursor to LIS technology in general, I believe that it was only a precursor to parts of the World Wide Web, specifically the parts that deal with organization. The Memex was not a precursor to the other side of the web: the creation side.

Unknown said...

I thought this video was very interesting and did a great job of summarizing the Memex in all of its glory. Like Ella said, the Memex was far ahead of its time and lead to the advancement of technology, like the World Wide Web, but more of the organization and structure to it, not the content or what it the information presented in it could end up being.