Monday, October 27, 2014

Online Me: Tiana Ferrick

Since I’m from a small town (Baldwin, WI), a lot of the demographic information associated with my phone number would initially draw a geodemographic firm to the largest town closest to me (Hudson, WI). If that’s the only information they had about me, they wouldn’t be able to find out a whole lot about me. But when I typed my name into Google, it brought up pages and pages of sports statistics from high school. Neither my first nor last name is very common, so maybe that’s why I got so many results. Someone could easily pinpoint my hometown and a small list of my extra-curriculars while I attended high school there. They could also figure out where I am now attending college, because the web pages of some of the student orgs I’m involved in have my name listed. There were also quite a few pictures of me listed under the images tab, which I wasn’t expecting. The images are from my hometown newspaper’s site and some of my profile pictures from my social media profile pictures (such as Pinterest, Facebook, Goodreads, etc.). Obviously there is a lot more to a person than where they are from, where they are living right now, and what they like on Pinterest, but the information presented to a geodemographic firm through a Goggle search of my name is certainly useful to companies who would want to target me with their advertisements. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I totally understand what you mean about having a relatively uncommon first/last name. I think that's what makes it most surprising when you do a search with your own name and find someone else's information. It's almost a little alarming to think that someone else's information might be on the radar if someone does a search for you, especially if there's any negative information associated with their name in particular.