I started by looking at the ARIS website to get a better understanding of the app itself. On the website the "mission statement" is "ARIS is a user friendly, open source platform for creating and playing mobile games, tours and interactive stories". Now whats interesting to me is that this app takes the idea of gaming on a mobile device and actually requires you to go to physical spaces. The app requires you to turn on your location settings, and constantly tracks your location when playing any of the games on the app. If you don't turn the location settings on it will ask you about 100 times. This is a very interesting idea to me, the convergence of physical movement in the real world with a mobile device app.
I chose the game "Henry Mall History", Henry Mall is down university towards Camp Randall. I did this game on the way to class last week and it basically just walks you through interesting things that happened on Henry Mall, which I thought was pretty unique. After playing this game I started thinking about the obsession with coding, programming, and creating apps in today's information society. This ARIS app is an interesting way to "game" on our mobile devices.
Caleb
No comments:
Post a Comment