Saturday, November 8, 2014

ManPower Findings

I found some very interesting things throughout my job search on ManPower. The three places I searched for jobs were in Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago. Madison had a very small selection of job opportunities. Most of them were contract positions except for three temporary and two permanent positions. Most of these do not require previous experience because they are mostly warehouse, delivery, or production jobs. Unlike in Madison, Milwaukee had many positions available. There were a total of ten pages of job opportunities to choose from. The ones that looked most interesting to me were: Senior Accountant, Customer Product Development Coordinator, and a Marketing Web Content Execution Specialist. For these jobs, previous experience was most definitely needed as well as computer skills. For the last title listed, you need to know how to use codes and other complex software as well as being able to find errors in websites. In Chicago, there are even more positions offered, and I'm assuming this is because their headquarters are located in Illinois providing more opportunities than anywhere else. Almost every one of these jobs required previous technological experience, and at the least in Microsoft Word. Most of the jobs in Milwaukee and Chicago are permanent, but they are not positions that I am interested in. They either have to do with Sales, Insurance, or other types of production. Overall, searching through this website made me realize how important it is to know how to use technology in the digital world we live in today. I feel lucky that our generation has grown up in a world like this since we are now at the advantage to have had so much experience with technology that by the time we are ready to get jobs, we can say we have the technological skills needed to be a candidate for most positions.

1 comment:

Tiana said...

I found it strange that there weren't as many job listings for Madison as you found in Milwaukee, or at least that you found so many jobs in Madison that really didn't require much knowledge about technology. Living in the downtown area of Madison, and being surrounded by small businesses all the time must be skewing my views about what jobs are actually available in our city. I agree with what you said about being thankful for growing up with technology so that our technological skills don't have to be as much of a learned thing as it does for others who didn't have that privilege. That thought has definitely crossed my mind before, but I think after doing this assignment, I'll be more aware of it than I was before. :)