I began my search on Manpower by searching jobs in Madison. Since
it’s such a big city, I wasn’t too surprised by the large amount of job
listings. Many of them appeared to be permanent positions, but some were
contract as well. By perusing the front page of results, I’d say that it showed
about half being manufacturing jobs, while the other half had to do with basic
business type things. The manual labor jobs didn’t look like they needed much
technological knowledge, but the ones that had to do with business needed to
know basic computer skills like typing and being able to create documents using
most of the Microsoft Office software. The majority of them looked like good
jobs. They paid much higher than the minimum wage, and many of them said that
there was little training necessary before you could start.
My hometown is too small to come up on their drop down menu,
so I used the closest one to me, which was New Richmond, WI. SO. MANY.
MANUFACTURING JOBS. Most of them seemed like they were contract jobs that didn’t
require much knowledge about technology. I’m fairly certain that a large
manufacturer of medical supplies just set down roots in New Richmond within the
past year, so it’s no surprise that they’re still getting settled in. I don’t
think that these are necessarily bad jobs, but they also wouldn’t be my first
pick if I had other options.
My final search was for Rice Lake, Wisconsin, because I plan
on moving back up to the big north woods after college to work with some of
their smaller school districts on updating their speech therapy programs. There
was quite the wide array of jobs available here. There were a couple
engineering positions, an electrician, a receptionist/administrative assistant,
and a cheese maker. Each of the jobs listed is going to need some knowledge of
technology, but each is going to utilize a very different kind of technology. I’d
say that these are all pretty good jobs to have, and almost all of them were
permanent positions and not contracts. Who WOULDN’T want the title of cheese
maker?
1 comment:
It is interesting to read through your findings around your hometown at Rice lake! I'll say they are definitely interesting titles but it is still important to have some sort of background knowledges and technologies. It is important for us to have these as early as possible in order to get these jobs.
Post a Comment