As I looked back through my blog posts for this semester, I noticed some change in my writing tone, but definitely not as much as I would have thought would change. I was initially surprised by the number of posts I actually made. There was a grand total of ten, but it felt like way more than that. The next thing that I noticed was that I stopped writing my posts as though I had written them personally to our discussion session. I started out the semester starting my posts with "hey guys" and ending them with "have a great weekend!" and then at some point I just stopped doing that. I think as the semester progressed, I was more preoccupied with just getting the assignment done and posted rather than thinking in depth how it might come across to my audience. I think that this is probably a common pattern with bloggers, the more they get comfortable with their audience, the easier it is to feel connected to them without having to think about your writing voice.
I think that my blog posts are a fairly good reflection on what my writing style is like. Throughout the semester I've been told that my strength in my papers is my writing voice, so it would make sense that that would be something that carried over into my blog posts. I think that my writing style shines through more in my papers, but only because I put a lot more of my time and effort into them. If I put as much effort into every blog post that I put into our two papers, this class would have to be my life for a while. I think that by incorporating blog posts and papers into the curriculum for this course is a good idea, because formal writing is definitely not going to be the only writing we do in our futures, and having blog posts allowed us to practice multiple forms of writing.
1 comment:
I had the exact same initial reactions to compiling my blog posts!! It feels like I have written a million yet there are only ten sitting in front of me. I also dropped the "hellos" at the beginning of the posts. For me, I think it is because I started thinking of the posts as a conversation with the computer, not the class.
Post a Comment