Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Silicon Valley Manpower

The three cities I looked at were Madison, Appleton and San Francisco. The first thing I noticed were that the vast majority of these jobs seem to be entry-level manufacturing jobs and menial labor at little more than minimum wage. Most of these jobs were either contract-based or part-time. There was one particular posting in Appleton that caught my eye as it was from September and sought applications for a customer service management position with pay of $90,000/year. I thought this was very strange given what I'd seen with the other postings, and figured that the reason this hadn't been filled was because this site is meant to cater to people who are looking for more basic work that doesn't require as much experience. Madison actually had more jobs than San Francisco, which might simply be because manufacturing industry isn't as prevalent there because space is so much more expensive. The jobs that might be available in San Francisco would probably require more specialized knowledge and probably a college degree, especially given its roots in technology. Unsurprisingly, Appleton only had 2 postings, both seeking applications for manufacturing positions.

No comments: