Monday, November 3, 2014
Disconnected....ehh
When Greg first explained the assignment, I was a little terrified. Terrified of both facing my social media and technological dependence/addiction and being separated from it for a a prolonged period of time. On top of the original assignment, Halloween weekend didn't exactly make the no-technology any easier, in fact it amplified all the worst parts. When I started the weekend out, I thought I would be able to do this, but within a few hours I caught myself slipping. I would get texts from people asking what the plans were or posts on different social media websites about different events. I did make an effort to ignore and avoid, but I just could't do it for that long. By Friday night, I had lost hope, and lost count of the amount of times I had pulled out my phone to stay connected or used my laptop for "Homework" (aka youtube and Facebook). Looking back on the weekend it was actually quite telling about both my personality and my interactions with technology. For personal and work use, my social media is a large portion of what I do in my free time as well as the mindless time I spend in between classes to solve my momentary boredom. I am a very social person, an extrovert to say the least, and I really appreciate being able to see what is going on around me. I like to stay updated on the news, twitter feeds, friend's lives, and just general media. In conclusion, although relatively unsuccessful with the stoppage of technology as a whole, it was a good learning process to realize how important technology is to me as an individual and recognize places that I can scale it back to make room for other things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
From reading this post I see that you and I are very different people when it comes to our social media needs. I don't feel any need to see what's going on around me. It makes me feel anxious and have major FOMO so I'd rather not feel this way by not looking at Facebook (which is the only type of social media I have). Although, I do agree that it was especially tough during Halloween weekend. This just wasn't the best weekend to try this activity out but it's a great idea.
Post a Comment