Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Self Presentation

One thing I noticed in my blog posts was as the semester went on my writings got more informal and more casual. I started typing like how I would be talking in class and developed an actual voice, which I assumed came from confidence and getting to know our class more. I think the blog posts were nice to make sure we were paying attention, but I felt it was easier to express my thoughts in person in discussion and snowball my thoughts off my classmates. My blog posts were all one sided with one way of thinking and discussion got me to think of other perspectives. My original writings were also very formal and like an academic writing, where my newer ones became more like blogposts where you could see my personality through my writing which I thought was interesting. The blog posts seemed so small at the time but they really added up and helped me find a voice in my writing. I think, as a neurobiology major, my formal writings will be more beneficial to me in my future because the writing I will most likely be doing will be research based and will be factual over persuasive. But if you were going into a career like journalism, i think the informal writings would be beneficial for discovering how you want to write in the future.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As a journalism student, I totally agree, although there are all sorts of different forums in publication that require different strengths. You might need to be more formal in your writing if you were published in a journal as opposed to more informal writing in certain magazines. I think it all really depends on the audience you're writing for.